RECALCULATING! Finding Your GPS



You're backs against the wall. It's another night of no sleep because you have a ton of laundry to do, dishes in the sink, a house to pick up, kids to console, a husband who also wants your attention, maybe throw in some animals here and there, a house to run, appointments to go to, school work to attend to, oh wait..and maybe a shower in there would be nice too. Your mind is racing a mile a minute. You toss. You turn. You lay on your back looking at the crack in the ceiling waiting for the proper hour to get up and make a cup of coffee to start your day, all the while watching the clock as if it is your mortal enemy.

Newsflash!  Hello people, you CAN'T do it all!!! No one can! 

We need a GPS in our lives, to help point us in the right direction and when we get off course, shout out: "RECALCULATING"  to get our attention. I bet you have a  GPS in your life and you aren't using it. I would guess, right now, you have at least a half-dozen GPS's that you aren't using. I bet you never plug them in, either. I bet you charge them all the time but never use them. Want to know where your GPS is? (Hint, it's not in the car under the seat....)

It's your Girl-Partner-Skill, a.k.a. GPS. 

Don't be ashamed to ask for help. Are you ready for this? It makes others feel good to help! As females, we WANT to help others. It's in our genetics. I have a wonderful friend who moved about a month ago. She has an 8 yr old, a 3 yr old and an 18 month old. She barely allowed anyone to help her pack. She was a mess! She was over stressed, over worked, strung out and living on coffee.  Poor thing probably burned a hole in her stomach and all her friends could do was stand by and watch her.  It was horrible. We all respected her need to be in control, but we all also only wanted to help. We know what it's like to feel that desperate, over-tired and over-worked. We visit that place often. She wasn't ready. 

Three weeks later, she called me (she never calls, only texts), so I knew something was wrong. She needed a place to have a pool party in 2 hours because her back was against the wall. Where she was going to have it wouldn't have worked out. Oh, it was so exciting! Here was this woman, a strong woman, asking for help! I was so happy to be trusted, I did a jig! Literally, I danced and clapped. I ran right over, helped her pack up my car and we decorated my yard and had 40 people, many of whom I didn't know, over and everyone had a great time! 

My dear Reader, asking for help is a sign of strength, not a sign of weakness. It shows you trust your GPS and that you've chosen the right ones.

Last week, I was a stressed out mess having to drive Honey Bunny to therapy on hour away, 2 times a week, as it took 3-4 hours out of my day. It meant that Boo Bear was being dragged everywhere and that Honey Bunny's dysfunction was taking control of our family. I was burnt out. I was angry. I was annoyed. I considered putting Boo Bear in a Montessori School to relieve her of the stress of being exposed to this craziness (until I saw tuition was $1200 a month. That stopped it). 

So, what's a Mom to do? Call on her GPS!  I put on my thinking cap and tried to decide what I COULD do to make life easier: 
1) Private school? Too much money. 
2) A babysitter for Boo Bear while I drove Honey Bunny around? Less money than private school but that put Boo Bear on the back burner and would teach her that acting out or having anorexia gets you exclusive attention from Mommy. Yeah, didn't want to go there!
3) Hire a driver for Honey Bunny? YES!  But who? A stranger? No. A friend? Who?

Then it hit me! We have a friend in her 70's who lives off of Social Security. She is a dynamic woman who loves photography, a retired welder, wellness coach and an amazing woman I would be honored to teach my teenager some lessons. I asked if she'd like some extra cash off the books, the ability to use our car which has air conditioning (in the south, that is important as her's is broken), and to drive roundtrip to a town an hour away 2x a week, waiting an hour in between. She said...YES!  

Now, I'm not running all around. Boo Bear is learning that anorexia doesn't get you more attention from Mommy. Honey Bunny is expanding her photography skills and forming a bond with a very strong woman. And me? I feel a sense of peace. Why? Because I Kept Calm and Asked For Help.

Reader, don't ever be afraid to ask for help from those you've chosen to be in your life. They are there for a reason. They love you. They want to be there for you. Ask yourself this question: "If my friend called on me for help, would I be there?" If the answer is yes, then don't forget to call on them.  Friendship is a two-way street. 



Comments