Thanksgiving Poem

It is the night before Thanksgiving and all through the house
Not a creature is stirring, not even my spouse!
The turkey's not bought but I do not care.
I just want a moment, I say with my prayer.

The children aren't nestled all snug in their beds
For Netflix is showing the Walking Dead.
I dream of a moment without things to do,
the laundry, the bedding, the dishes-accrue!

When out in the hall there arose such a clatter,
I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter.
Away through the blackness iPhone Flashlight in hand
I tore through the darkness to see it firsthand.

The moon on the floor from the windows above
Gave a luster to the dust on the floor I'm not proud of.
Then what to my wondering eyes should appear
But a half-grown puppy with my kitchen gear.

That little ol' puppy, so lively and quick
I knew in a moment I just find his throw stick.
More rapid than eagles, my curses they came
And I whistled and shouted and called him by name!

"Now Dammit! Now Darn It!
Now Prick Dog and Vajayay!
Oh Clusterf*ck! I'm Screwed!
G*d Dammit! This is Bullsh*t!
Get away from the turkey!
Come! Stay! Sit in the hall!
Don't dash away, dash away,
Dash away at ALL!"

As swear words poured out before my sanity arrived
I realized in a moment the turkey had survived!
So back to my couch my butt it sure flew,
this was just too much to have to go through.

Then in a twinkling, I heard on the stairs
the sound of sweet footsteps and knew I'd been snared!
As I put down my head and was turning around
I knew in a moment I'd be met with a frown.

They were dressed in their jammies, from their heads to their feet,
and I knew in that moment I was in the hot seat!
A bundle of giggles they had held in their cheeks
And they tried so hard for those giggles not to leak.

The kid's eyes how they twinkled! Their dimples so merry.
Their cheeks were tight with laughter. Their noses so flarey.
Their droll little mouths, drawn up like a bow
The cursing they heard, they wanted to know.
The taste of fresh words held tight in my teeth
and those words circled inside of my head, my breath held underneath.
They had on that face and and certainly knew better
And they laughed when I began to stutter and fretter.

"That turkey was chubby and plump, in-spite of it's size."
and I laughed when I saw them and knew I had allies.
A wink of their eyes and turn of their heads,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

They spoke not a word, but went right back to Netflix
They had learned some new words for their big bag of tricks.
And laying my head in my hands I did shake
Knowing I just taught them the words that they'll take.

I sprang to my feet and gave my kids a notice.
I am only human but I am not hopeless.
But I heard them exclaim as they walked out of site:

"I heard it from you, Mom! Don't say it's not alright!"




Comments